Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Recipes

Meals in the Telford home have become quite boring. So, I am on a mission to find some new, great ones! My goal is that my family will wish to stay home and eat, rather than go to McDonald's or BurgerKing (...ughhh....I know!). I swear, I'm not that bad of a cook! (Bloggers who have a different opinion- zip it!) And, as my journey goes....I will post the recipe and where I found it. Sounds like fun, doesn't it!

Last night, we cooked up some Sweet and Sour Chicken over rice, and I think we found a winner!!! My friend, Tauna, sent me a family member's website, www.homebasedmom.com (great site, thanks Tauna!)and I am already eyeing a dozen more recipes to try. This was the first...and very yummy. However, next time, I will reduce the amount of pineapple added. If you love pineapple, you will love it because it is definately overloaded! I may increase the soy sauce as well. Overall, it cooked up beautifully, and most of my kids ate it all (that is a great sign)!

Sweet and Sour Chicken
www.homebasedmom.com
serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes

6 tablespoons flour seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/8 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup vinegar

1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits (reserve juice)

1/2 cup pineapple juice (use reserved juice)

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 red bell pepper, sliced

1/4 cup onion, sliced

Coat chicken in flour and fry in olive oil until browned. Drain and set aside. In same skillet, combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, chicken broth and soy sauce. Cook and stir until boiling. Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken, peppers, onions, and pineapple. Cook until heated through. Serve over rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Thanks for the recipe, I love to get new dinner ideas. You should come to recipe group tonight. 6:30pm at Clare's (you'll never find it on your own, so call me if you want to go together). Ok...maybe you could find it on your own, the directions are pretty simple. I hope to see you there.

alisafye said...

Love your blog! I want to buy a better camera now. I also want to find new recipes, so thanks for the tip. Also, on my blog I have a link to Pioneer Woman's website, and she has a cooking section that's pretty good. Oatmeal cookies to die for!
And we are so glad you came for the Fourth!