Wednesday, June 25, 2008

First Grade Birthdays in Mississippi

Yep, it's me again! Hey I'm really into this "blog" thing! And if you haven't sent your blog address to me....well, you're not welcome here! j/k

Anyway, onto the good stuff. You know, I really should be studying. I have a midterm tomorrow. Took a practice test. Scored...let's just say, not very good. But before I surrender to my Statistics textbook, I will take a minute to share an experience that Sidney and I had around her birthday in April, about a week after we arrived in Oxford.

Let's just start by saying that Mississippi....well, it's a different world here! And if any of you who may have sons or daughters that need a little straightening up, don't send them to one of those wilderness camps, just send them here!

Mrs. Palmertree was Sidney's teacher. She is a super friendly lady, very happy and excited about school and the children. Now, Mrs. Palmertree has been teaching for 20+ years, and has a birthday tradition that she has carried on during those years. She calls it, "birthday tickles and spanks". Yep, you heard it right. And there is no holding back. Well, when I heard about this, the moment when Mrs. Palmertree was putting Sidney over her lap, I thought, "This MUST be a set-up for, "Smile...You've been caught on hidden camera!" I mean, people...teachers...parents...etc. cannot even tap a child on the shoulder, in the states which I grew up and moved around to. And there Sidney was, lying over Mrs. Palmertree's lap! WHOAA! Things HAVE changed in the Telford world.
Ok. So first things first....tickles. Mrs. Palmertree gave her "7" tickles. Sidney was howling with laughter. I thought she was going to pee her pants...she probably should have.
And then....the target!

Right on her hiney! My eyes got big, and I subtley looked around to see the reaction. Oh boy, everyone was into this! Well, my eyes got even bigger when Mrs. Palmertree started swatting Sidney. One carefully calculated wallup at a time. Of course, this was all fun for the kids, Mrs. Palmertree and even Sidney. (Before you gasp..NOTE: This was a dramatized spanking, and all the children look forward to it.) I was just a wee bit surprised. Well Sidney, "Happy Birthday!" I bet you're looking forward to your next one! Regardless of the unexpected "tickles and spanks," Sidney really liked her teacher, and I did too. This is the world you call, MISSISSIPPI! And yes...we do like it here!

Sidney's 1st Grade class with Mrs. Palmertree

4 comments:

mjmurdo said...

That's such a cute story Jalayne. It's one birthday that Sidney will always remember. I can totally picture the scene in my mind. Thanks for letting us see the class and teacher. She looks like she would be a fun teacher for 1st grade. Way To Go Sidney!!!!!

alisafye said...

You guys take BEAUTIFUL pictures! I guess it doesn't hurt to have beautiful subjects (you and your children). Anyway, I know about the birthday thing! Henry (the handsome blond boy sitting in the front row, talked about the birthday tickles and spanks for weeks before his birthday, and I thought it must be code for something. Nope. The target on the bum just about killed me! Crazy! Welcome to Mississippi!

Wifetastic said...

Ok, so that is kinda freaky that your kid gets spanked in front of the whole class. I'm glad we have summer bdays. Holy cow.

Corinne

Brenda B said...

I know that you already told me about this over the phone, but it was sure fun to read!!