Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I DON'T like to run...

unless I can carry a Snickers in my pocket. Is that ok?

I am trying to get motivated, but it is so HARD! I don't eat THAT healthy, and don't exercise (except when I am cleaning....and I DO consider that some exercise). How do people over come their addictions? I mean, last night Shawn and I shared nearly a whole bag (not the mini) of M&M's while laying in bed watching TV. If you look in my nightstand, you will find a collection of goodies.....from Almond Snickers to taffy. I'd like to call it an evening tradition. That sounds nice. However, the guilt is becoming more than I can bare! Surely, I'm losing years of my life due to these unfortunate habits.

I declare, it must be in the genes. How can people exercise twice a day, and then go home to eat whole grain everything, complete servings of fruits and vegetables and maybe a flourless chocolate cake made out of tofu and pure, bitter chocolate (I'm sure that's possible....tofu can be transformed into anything, or so I've heard). Many people do this without wincing, cringing....no aches, no sorrow. I don't know how they do it.

Switching gears. SERIOUSLY, I see the meaning of having "opposition in all things," as applied to this aspect of our lives. Taking care of our bodies is a enormous challenge for many of us. For Latter Day Saint church members, we have the word of wisdom. I believe that living or not living this commandment has huge ramifications, not only for us individually, but as families. And the consequences sometimes aren't so visible. I believe this, yet I don't live it completely.

Shawn has been working so hard to live healthier. He has cut out his Coke consumption, almost entirely, and he has been running 3-6 miles nearly every day for 2 months. We just returned home from the Bridge to Bridge run in Pensacola, Florida. There he ran his first race. I am so proud of him. I KNOW it is hard work, because I still can't get up an moving. But, I am motivated by him and the knowledge that my future is largely in my hands. I want to grow old being healthy and active, so I can enjoy my husband, children and grandchildren.

That is my motivation.

Memphis has a 10k in April. Now where do I get those dorky headbands?

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I am with you on the running thing. I don't run unless someone is chasing me. Don't kill yourself. I exercise everyday but for like 20 minutes. I keep busy "running" around during the day so I feel my small amount of daily exercise is just fine. The eating is hard though. Have a treat every other day and see how that works for you. Moderation in all things! Good luck!

The Henry Family said...

I have this recipe for sausage dip...yes, sausage. It is the most fattening thing on the planet!! Bryce and I clean up the pan whenever I make it! BUT....I'm trying out the running thing, too. My IPOD is what saves me. Lots of upbeat songs keep me going. I'm good with a mile or two. THEN I eat the sausage dip! HA HA!